I want to thank everyone who took the time to submit their stories. The response to our story call was outstanding! We set Far Orbit and a World Weaver Press records for the number of submissions to a single anthology.
The quality of the submissions was very high and it was a pleasure to read so many imaginative and well-written tales. Like most anthologists, I had the difficult task of saying, “No, thank you” to many high quality stories that didn't quite mesh with my vision for the anthology. I really wish I had a place to put those stories.
During the open call, I made a concerted effort to respond quickly to your submissions. The average response time was 24 hours with a range of 2 hours to 4 days. I tried to keep the response times short so that authors could submit multiple stories during the open reading period. Several authors took advantage of this policy and the anthology will be stronger because of it.
So what happens next?
- April and May. We’ll be making final story selections, editing the stories, and issuing story contracts.
- June. I’ll be writing story intros, volume intros, and cover blurbs
- July. The first “final” draft goes to World Weaver Press for their production workup (cover art, copy editing, generating advance reader copies, book building, marketing, promotion, and distribution).
- November. Publication of Far Orbit: Apogee.
- January, 2016. Open call for the third Far Orbit anthology – Far Orbit: Perigee